Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Week #6 - Max Q Journal - Leave Comments Here

14 comments:

Jason Thompson said...

For me, Day #1 sticks out so far very clearly this week. Specifically the John 6:-16 passage for the following reasons:

John 6:1-15
In reading this passage today I saw something that I’ve never seen before. What usually sticks out to me is that right after Jesus does a miracle of multiplying the loaves, that he saw it necessary to get away alone with his heavenly Father. While many might take time to bask in the success of the moment, Jesus got away from the people to spend time with his heavenly Father.

What stuck out to me today more than in the past was the significance of the first part of verse 15, “Jesus saw that they were ready to take him by force and make him king…”

Basically, the people had begun to think so highly of Jesus that they actually wanted to bestow upon him power/prestige/position that wasn’t apart of God’s Will for his life. In other words, he was being tempted by the people to think more highly of himself than he should.

In the midst of all that Jesus was doing and all the ways that the Father was using him and in the midst of all the praise he received, Jesus remained in a position of humility throughout his ministry never forgetting who he was and who he was not.

Remembering who we are (humble servants of Christ) and who we are not (Kings with great power/position/prestige) will always lead us to our knees, keeping us desperate to better understand the heart of our Heavenly Father and his will for our lives whether in good times or bad times.

Craig Helfrich said...

Out of this week, Day 1 stuck out to me the most.
The question "What priority do you place on having personal time alone with God" really caught my attention.

For the most part, I do a pretty good job of TAWG time, but there are days where I get so busy and then I am too tired to get into HIS word. I have noticed in my life that the days I start my day in the word I have much better days than on the days where I totally put God to the side.

Just like with any relationships, we need to spend time with that person to get to know them better, gain their trust, and just grow deeper. That is no different than spending time with Christ. Through this class, I really have focused my time more in the word and it has been great in many areas.

Deb Ellis said...

Day 1 really stuck out to me. TAWG is essential in my life. You can only go so long on battery until you need to plug into the Power Source! If Jesus needed it, I certainly need it!

Day 5 It's important to realize the importance of seeking God for wisdom before 'backing off' in a friendship with a non-Christian. It's interesting to see that God may choose to work-out the situation in a different way which enables Him to work in that individual's life and avoid the bitterness that may be the result of 'bailing out'.

As I studied the meaning of Col 4:6and Eph 4:15, I really looked at my own life and specific situations and evaluated myself. Was my conversation "full of grace" and "season with salt"? Did I speak the truth "in love". I truly want to emulate Christ in my life and this has had a powerful effect in my life.

Deb Ellis

Anonymous said...

This week i guess it just stuck out to me to get out of relationships that are jepordizing my realationship with Jesus Christ. It really made me think about who i should be friends with and who i shouldnt be friends with. I know im going to really make an effort to make sure that im with the right group of people who dont put me in bad situations
-kelsey kaiser

Anonymous said...

the Bible verses this week were really nice
they were just short things with lots of wisdom, my favorite kind.
~amy j

Anonymous said...

Day 1 stuck out about how Jesus provided plenty of fish and bread for so many people, and instead of staying and bragging so to say he just left them all and went to be alone with God instead. He could have reached out and impacted so many peoples lives but instead he needed to better his relationship with God instead. And often we forget that we need to put our own relationship with God before others.

-Kara Kaiser

Anonymous said...

I liked the last thought of day two
it said
do you care more about the friend or the friendship.
i liked that because it made me think that a friend is more important than the friendship.
Tim Berkey

Anonymous said...

I really liked the Bible verses on day five. Col. 4:6 and Eph. 4:15
How they talked about being 'seasoned with salt' in our speach and 'full of grace' toward our friends.
Also getting our priorities right. I confess a lot of times, God isn't my first. I usually read the Bible every day but I don't always study it. I'll just read a random chapter before bed and forget what I read ten minutes later. So I'm trying to reprioritize my life.

Katie Larson

Anonymous said...

The thing I stuck out the most was actually the intro to this week and the first two days. It really struck home about being drawn into something I had no business being involved in. It has happened to me before and I totally agree that it is something to be careful about. I also liked how it talked about what is more important the friend or the friendship. It really helps me remember that maybe what's best for my friend is to not be in their life at this point. Hard to accept but for the best.
-Beth Peters

Anonymous said...

Day two stuck out to me the most this week... When it talked about did you value the friend or the friendship more, because thats so true, am I more worried about how if I tell someone about Christ or "bug" them about coming to church, if they wouldn't like me as much. Which one do we often see as the more important one? I need to evaluate that more as I evaluate my friendships with non-believers.

-Arielle W

tanklehane said...

There was a lot of great insight this week, especially after our discussion in class last week.

The big challenge is to make sure that we're looking after our spiritual life first and foremost if we want to continue to be most effective and influential with our friends.

They give great ideas and examples of what to do if you feel that your relationships with your friends is starting to hinder your own spiritual life. The truth is that there may be some hurt and pain in making a necessary break with friends but GOD IS BIGGER than what might happen and He can restore those relationships. It's very important that they see how faithful you are to Him and said aside any thoughts that they might see you as a hypocrite.

If you're sensing this is a step you might need to take, pray that God will give you the insight and wisdom of what to do and how to speak truth in the right way.

In Him,

Chris

Craig Helfrich said...

This whole week has been really good on accountability and how important this is in our lives. I am very fortunate to have a great accountability partner who is willing to ask me the tough questions, and also be there to pray for me in my good days and bad days. I liked Day Four when it said "Most of us do better when we know someone is checking up on us." That is so true. If we have nobody that is checking up on how we are doing spiritually, emotionally, and physically, then what is the point. It is also important that we understand that constructive critisicm is for our own good. It doesn't mean our friends don't like us. They are only watching out for us and want what is best in our lives.

Anonymous said...

Well day five stuck out to me. like the whole seasoned with salt it just made me want to talk nice.

Lucas Schaffer

Anonymous said...

The thing that kept coming back to me this week was that i need to find a friend that a can be accountable to and also them to me. I really know that i need to start finding someone that i can trust and can help my relationship with God stronger and that we can discuss what God has laid on our hearts and pray for what we are having troubles with for that week or day. i think that finding this friend would really help me focus on the task at hand.
Ashlee ort