What is your "big takeaway" from Week #3?
Remember, it may be...
....A passage of scripture you read
....A statement made in the devotional
....A big thought that came to you as you went through it.
Tuesday, April 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
15 comments:
On day two I liked how it talked about 'priming' our friends. Like it said before, many of the kids around us don't have a good picture of who Christ is. So it's our job to show them an accurate picture. We can choose our attitude towards God and a lot of times our attitude is 'I'll read my Bible later' or 'I'm too busy to go to church.' And that, I think is why a lot of people have a bad picture of who Christ is. We need to have a passion for God and show it to the people around us.
So that's the main point I've taken away this week so far.
-Katie Larson
Day four stuck out to me because it talked about loving our friends unconditionaly without expecting something in return. i will be the first to admit that i find myself expecting something back from friends and peers. But instead we are to love them no matter what they give back. In order to be that influence that they need in their lives and to actually get somewhere we need to love them and make them wonder why we do the things we do for them. I think for all of us this can be lived out daily.
-je-
Here's some thoughts I had and some things that stood out to me:
* God ALONE is the agent of change and the giver of life.
- We still need to do our part but God is the only one that can produce life and heart change.
* The goal is hearth change (not behavior), because the heart drives behavior.
- Has our heart change really affected our behavior?
The second paragraph on page 56 was a huge piece to chew on.
* If we want to be influential in the lives of our unbelieving friends we need to "prime" them by giving them a living picture of who God is and the difference he can make in their lives. . . . . After all, isn't that why God came to earth and existed in a body: to prime mankind's pump by demonstrating in the flesh what God is like?
- How well am I/ are we doing with this?
* To be a student of influence, you must learn to love your lost friends with no expectation of reciprocity--not strings attached.
* A heart simply can't resist true kindness and unconditional love. It's virtually impossible.
* The thing that will get you noticed is this: a consistent, compassionate, and godly life lived out before your friends day after day after day.
- I think this would be one of those "Amen" and "Ouch" moments all in one.
Last thought, are we the type of person, like Jesus, that people come to because they are convinced that we are accepting, compassionate, available, and capable of offering help that no one else could?
- If I'm not, I need to be striving for this if I want to be a person of influence.
- Pastor Chris
Day two of journaling stuck out to me because it talked about how our actions and things we say "prime" non-believers hearts to open thier hearts and minds to God. I knew we were to let our actions show our walk with Christ but I didn't realize that it was that much of an impact on them to actually have it be the reason they would or wouldn't come to know Christ. I definately need to see be aware of my actions more around people that aren't believers.
-Arielle Walters
The first day is what really stood out to me this week. I like how in matthew he says that are words that come out of are mouths is whats in are hart. So if good comes out of your mouth that's whats in your hart.
Caleb Sheets
I was gone over Spring Break and didn't have access to a computer so I'm going to put my last week comment and this weeks comment on the same page. Last Week- I really enjoyed reading about how Jesus wasn't a meek, fake person but one that was "the life of the party" and authentic. The fact that we will be rejected by unbelievers and that we should be ready to accept that also stuck out to me. I will probably still be frustrated when that happens to me but at least I know it's coming and that it even happened to Jesus.
This week- I really liked in day one when it talked about how Christianity is not ultimately about a behavior change but about a heart change becuase the heart affects the attitude and behavior of people. Too many times people walk away from a church or service because we try to change just their behavior instead of trying to change their heart for God. I also thought the part about our non christian friends watching us was important. I need to look at my life through my friends eyes and see if I'm such a good Christian as I think I am. That can be a very scary thing but its necessary. I wouldn't want someone to not know Jesus because I wasn't acting like a Christ follower. That's basically what I got out of both weeks.
-Beth Peters
this week i dont know of my learning is coming out of the reading from this week but i am trying to learn how to face rejection. i am trying to put myself out there for people to talk to knowing that some are going to reject me. it was hard at frist definitely but then a think just smiling got to people even though thay didnt show it.
Also many people rejected Jesus and if i want to learn then i have to know how he felt. i know me being rejected a smile is not as close as what He went through but im glad i experienced it.
Ashlee Ort
day four stuck out to me cause it was sayin that you should love your friends and expect nothing in return. well me being me i always want something in return. but i think i should love unconditionally and not expect anything back.
Lucas Schaffer
1 John 3:18 is one of my favorites verses in the Bible, especially the way it's worded in the NLT: "Dear Children, let us stop saying we love each other; let us really show it by our actions."
I'm continually challenged by this verse because it's easier for me and probably for us as humans in general to talk about what we are going to do or want to do than it is to actually do it. Intentions are great but it doesn't mean anything if we don't act upon the things that the Lord has placed in our hearts.
As I went through Max Q this week, I was challenged a couple of different times to really consider whether I'm loving the lost people in my life unconditionally. I'm still processing at a deeper level what it would really mean and look like for me to love them without condition.
This week I especially was challenged on Day 2. John 1:14 - "So the Word became human and lived here among us. He was full of unfailing love and faithfulness. And we have seen his glory , the glory of the only Son of the Father." The disciples were able to see God in person which allowed them to understand His love for us and learn first hand what Christ is all about. God was "priming" his disciples.
This challenged/reminded me that I need to be always living my life as a living example for Christ. I beagn to wonder if I am "priming" those around me. I want those around me to love my Jesus.
I like how the second day talks about how we need to allow our actions to show Christ so others can see him through us.
Sebastian Radelich
on day five where it talked about the eye being the dertermination factor for the amount of light for the body, i liked that a lot. it is a big deal not only what i see, but also how i interpurt that thing.
Tim Berkey
Just in general I liked how it talked about how we are suppose to love our friends with out expecting something in return, and how we are suppose to set a good example because our friends are looking at us saying, well if she does it then its ok... that really made me want to think of my actions and to make sure that im setting the right example for everyone who is watching.
-kelsey kaiser
What I thought stuck out was what do others see when they look at you. Do they see a good example of christ where they see that what their doing isn't pleasing to God and makes them what to change what their doing, or do they see a bad example of chirst where they see what your doing and they think that what their doing is ok, and there is no need to change what their already doing.
-Kara Kaiser
"Unconditional love is like a giant heart magnet"
-I smiled when I read that. I'm not even sure if I completely know what it means but I like it. Ha. I even highlighten Jeremiah 31:3 in my Bible since thats the verse that follows it. To me the verse was a verse of hope, showing us how as humans we are made to love eachother. That all the conservative old people who cursed the hippies and their "love everyone" theories were completely wrong. And perhaps that the hippies who thought they were stickin it to the big Christian authorities were just as wrong too. If God made us to love eachother I should really work on not hating those awful kids that sit two seats infront of me. So, I will try my hardest to "love" even when I want to scream and enjoy every one of God's wonderful creations.
~amy j
Post a Comment