It was good hearing what the Lord is teaching everyone through the first week of our Max Q study! Go ahead and leave your comments for Week #2 under this post.
One thing to consider this week as you journal through Max Q is how does what you are reading and learning flesh out in your everyday life. In other words, how do you apply what you are learing in practical ways.
I'm excited to see everyone Sunday at our first DCGO Class as we begin our DCGO journey together! Remember, we're meeting from 9:30 - 10:30 a.m. in SMC 161-162 which is the room right next to the Student Ministries offices and inside the Auxiliary Gym.
Bring your Bible, your Max Q Devotional Journal and a pen.
Tuesday, April 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
24 comments:
-Well yesterday I wrote to you, the reader, leaving a pretty big challenge. Today's challenge is considerably smaller, but just as much important.
-Today I read about how Jesus was authentic, accepting, and real. He was always his true self. I then saw how in my own life how I wasn't being authentic. I struggle with being that lukewarm Christian you always hear about. How God would rather me be a nonchristian than be in the middle. Like I said, I struggle A LOT with being that way. So here's my challenge. I want you, the reader, to pray that I and the rest of the DCGO team learn to be hard-core, on-fire, and authentic Christ followers. Not just for the DCGO trip, but for our walks with Christ everyday.
-skyler stutzman
-Today I read two excerpts out of John for Day 3 Week 2. They were talking about how we as Christians are going to face persecution from the world because we are of Christ instead of the world. Jesus didn't want us to go out under the false pretense that we are going to be accepted by everyone. He came out and said that we would be persecuted for our beliefs. What I took away from that is that we may reach a lot of unsaved people, but we also are going to meet a lot of ridicule and persecution for trying to spread the truth. Christ just wants us to be ready for it because he loves us and wants other people to know that he loves them too. That's just what really hit me tonight.
-skyler stutzman
Here's some interesting quotes I saw as I read. Very thought provoking when it comes to those we interact with daily and those we will encounter on DCGO.
"Most are not angry with God. No, unbelieving teenagers distance themselves from Christians. They reject the pictures of church they see reflected in the lives of the believers they know."
- What an "Ouch" moment.
"Even children and SINNERS felt welcome around him."
- Children I can understand but it says that "sinners" felt welcomed around him. Intriguing to me. I think this one goes back to last chapter. We can hide ourselves and our faith amongst our friends but when we truly are influencers for Christ how do we get to the point where "sinners" still feel welcomed around us as they did with Jesus?
"The bottom line is that God wants to use your LIFE to convict your unbelieving peers. That's been his plan all along."
- Sometimes we think we have to have all the knowledge and right words to share when God wants us to use our life and let that speak to others.
Those were some insights that stuck out to me. More later.
- Chris
-Today, I read about how Jesus sent the Holy Spirit to live in us and convict our unsaved friends through us. I thought that was pretty cool that just by hanging out, we're making them come to realize that there is a God in Heaven that loves and cares for them. That is, if we let Christ show up in our lives. I also saw, again, that we're going to be rejected and laughed at by a lot of people in D.C. We just need to be ready for it. On the upside, we're also going to bring a lot of people to Christ. That should be worth all the rejection and the teasing that we are going to face.
-skyler stutzman
God says that he gives us peace on this world. But God also gives us peace when we ask for it. That is what stuck out to me this week.
Caleb sheets
i just wanted to say that i was away for spring break all week and i forgot my max Q journal at home. so as soon as i get to my dads house i will write a response.
Amanda Yoder
the thing that seemed to have hit me the most this week was today's lesson about rejection. Jesus was rejected and in turn in only makes sense that we would be rejected. No one likes rejection and its all about how you respond to it. When it asked how I personally would handle being rejeted, i had to sit back and think. So to be gut-level honest, i have NO IDEA how i'd handle it. I haven't really been faced with more than i can handle. i'm a pretty strong willed girl and when i set my mind on something i don't back down so easily. I guess we'll have to see what happens in the next few weeks. I honestly wouldn't mind being challenged by God.
-jenjen
-You know that when you become a Christian, you're really asking Jesus into your heart and life. What was new to me was that when you ask Him, he'll set up a barrier against sin around your heart. It just felt really good to hear that today.
-skyler stutzman
This is what stuck out to me this week:
-On day five it talked about peace. Jesus never promised that when we enter a relationship with him, we will have a peaceful life with no turbulence. He said that during those turbulent times, he will give us peace. I think alot of times when I'm going through a tough time I get angry because I think that God is supposed to prevent those times from happening-but he isn't. Really during those times I am suppose to look to him for peace of mind and through that- I will be peaceful.
-Another thing hit me this week. Every time Max Q or the Bible has mentioned unsaved friends or nonbelievers, two friends of mine have popped into my head. I'm wondering if this is God telling me something.
-Austin Hostetter
On day five they asked how it affected me to know that Jesus experienced everything we have and will experience.
It's really comforting to know that Jesus understands all that we feel. He's actually lived it. And if we ask, He'll give us peace through all the hard times we go through. It made me feel closer to Him and helps me be more joyful even when trouble comes.
-Katie Larson
So many times I expect the friends who hate Christ to somehow like me. The scary thing is that some of them actually do like me. "No servant is greater than his master" and "If they hated me then they will hate you too". So I must not be living out Christ if they like me.
Makes a guy think.
Tim Berkey
A couple of quotes/verses that stuck out to me this week were...
John 16:9 - "The world's sin is unbelief in me"
"Why do you think your friends practically beg you to sin? Because you represent everything they know they could and should be - and they hate the comparison. They want to blur the contrast."
"Which teenagers will reject you the most vehemently? ...thos students who grew up in church and have since abandoned it"
"His promised are like a bridge that will carry you from being a student of influence to a student of mountainlike faith."
But for me this week, Day Two was most impacting when we were challenged to consider whether we live with the same characteristics that Jesus had. Here are some journal thoughts are wrote down as I processed each of these.
(1) Authentic - Am I like a plastic manican or am I willing to allow people into the hurt, the pain, the "junk" in my life. 99% of the time, our response when we are asked how we are doing is "fine"
(2) Relevant - The hightbulb here for me is that this happens best when people see me living what I say I believe. People want to see and know if this Jesus thing really works of if it's just theory.
(3) Enjoyable - This happens naturally when I am living in freedom from sin, religion. "Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free." Most of the time our joy is stolen away by sin. Jesus lived in incredible freedom that allowed him to have an unexplainable Joy.
(4) Accepting - Does my life reflect am unconditional acceptance of those people around me who are different than I am?
This week I especially liked what the EXP was saying, how we already know what to expect from God and so we shouldn't be afraid of what may happen.
So this week it really made me think about being rejected. It does make you feel better that Jesus faced the same rejection as us, but at the same time it can be so discouraging to be rejected by peers and people close to you. I know though that if you just pray about it God will help you with that rejection and turn it into something good.... so i guess just don't let rejection discourage you, remember Jesus faced the same things we are.
-kelsey kaiser
I guess this week I read alot of what I already knew, alot of what was obvious. Especially when it said that the people who will reject you the most are those who grew up in the church and turned away from it. That made me incredibly sad, because it was so true. Also, when it asked if we were afraid of rejection I had to say yes, but I would much rather be rejected then keep my mouth shut and not say anything.
-Amy J
Mostly what stuck out was staying strong and not giving up if you get rejected or denied. God never gives your more then you can handle, so you just have to take others rejections and use them for greater use later.
-Kara Kaiser
Alright so if i have friend that hates god but likes me is that wrong? I feel like i am not living out gods will if they hate him but like me. So itys just a thought.
This week the lord has show me a few things that really make me think. First was that there will be a time when I will experience rejection and that this should not stop me from witnessing to people, and that I should trust the Lord when that time comes. Secondly is that sometimes I judge people because they believe or act differently and this week really helped me realize that I shouldnt judge people and I should be accepting.
-Brandon Snodgrass
This past week I have really thought about how Jesus went through what we go through. If someone as perfect as Him went through all this junk, then i can make it through while still preaching the good name of Jesus Christ. I realized that i really need to work on being authentic, and that I usually bend my thoughts around peers. Jesus did not bend his thoughts, so I need to work on being authentic, even around friends. Which is a problem i think most teens have.
What really stuck out to me about this week was on day three when they listed some of Jesus's personality traits. It really made me think about how accepting I am and how much more accepting Jesus was. It reminded me how Jesus wasn't quick to judge even though he was at the place where he could and I realized how judgemental I am of other people when it really isn't my place to judge them. Also, on day five, I love the promise Jesus left for us in John 14:27 about peace of mind and heart.
-Becca Courtney
-What stuck out most to me is when they were talking about Christ's traits. One of his traits were accepting... I think we over look this trait as a generation. Most people who even think they are accepting of their piers really aren't. We are very quick to judge and to rejject those who we don't think are "cool" or they don't "fit in". I need to learn this from Christ, and be loving and accept everyone, because we were all made in the image of God and therefore are equal.
-Arielle Walters
Week 2 had many interesting thoughts in it. The big thought that hit me was in the area of persecution. Do we as Americans really know what that is? In my life, I really don't recall a time where I have been persecuted about my faith in Christ. I can remember a few times in High School where kids would kind of laugh about me being a Christian, but is wasn't something so huge I can't handle. Another thought was that if I'm not being persecuated at all, am I really stretching out of my comfort zone to proclaim the name of Jesus. Just a few thoughts.
I'm really excited about this study and the opportunities that it presents each of us! Day Two was awesome! I especially like the analogy of priming the pump. I, personally don't have any non-Christians in my life, but I really feel like we, as Christians have opportunity everyday to prime the pump of those who profess to be Christians but are timid in their daily walk. When you prime the pump, you have to make physical contact with the pump (i.e. pouring water in the pump to cause it to react). A smile or a friendly gesture or the way we react to a difficult situation can prime someone's pump. We are that living example and reaching out to others can make all the difference. Each person we touch is an investment and it's an opportunity to build on the greatest investment anyone could ever make.
Post a Comment